Saturday, January 22, 2011

Installing PS3 Media Server on Ubuntu successfully

After being disappointed with MediaTomb, I decided to try PS3 Media Server again. This time I found Leigh Henderson's blog site that gives a step-by-step instruction for installing PS3 Media Server on Ubuntu 10.04.

Here is the site: http://irrationale.com/2010/06/30/ps3-media-server-on-ubuntu-10-04/


See also my notes on my first attempt for PS3 Media Server installation that failed (http://socrateos.blogspot.com/2011/01/installing-ps3-media-server-on-ubuntu.html).

Here is what I did, following Leigh's instruction. (My Ubuntu is 10.10)
It is basically identical to this instruction.

1. Install required softwares: mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg, and sun-java6-jre. I already had ffmpeg installed on my system. I used GUI tool Synapitc instead of a command line command to install these softwares.

2. Download the latest version of PS3 Media Server from: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list
I downloaded: pms-generic-linux-unix-1.20.412.tgz (PS3 Media Server for Linux/Unix v1.20.412 BETA )

3. Create a directory and copy the expanded pms folder.
mkdir /opt
mv ~/pms-linux-1.20.412/ /opt/pms
cd /opt/pms
sudo chmod +x PMS.sh
sudo chmod +x linux/tsmuxer

4. Edit PMS.conf file.
thumbnails = true
thumbnail_seek_pos = 300
mencoder_ass = true
folders =/home/(username)/media/
hide_videosettings = true
hide_enginenames = true
audiochannels = 2

5. Install mediainfo in order to stream MP4 from PS3 MediaServer.

Now I found that PS3 Media Server by iteself was not able to stream MP4 that can be played on PS3. Luckily there is an easy way to do this. Just install mediainfo (using PPA, or Private Package Archives).
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shiki/mediainfo  # add a PPA to my Ubuntu
$ sudo apt-get update                          # update Ubuntu package manager
$ sudo apt-get install mediainfo               # install it
See the mediainfo home page at: https://launchpad.net/~shiki/+archive/mediainfo

7 comments:

  1. Edit PMS.conf... does not exist.

    zeddock

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to start your PMS server first. PMS.conf file is automatically created by the server (probably when you click SAVE button.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you start the PS3 MediaServer..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous said...
    > How do you start the PS3 Media Server?

    $ cd /opt/pms
    $ ./PMS.sh

    That will launch the server.

    But I created a ruby script file that looks like this:
    #!/usr/bin/env ruby
    #
    system "cd /opt/pms;./PMS.sh"

    Then I added this (pms.rb) to my Ubuntu menu so that I can lanch PS3 Media Server from the menu:
    Application > Sounds & Video > PS3 Meida Server

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for some self-bitchslappin soon! Can't get PMS to work on my Ubuntu 11.04 machine. This is my 4th guide and PMS still tells me to turn on my PS3! I can almost bet $ that a clean Ubuntu install is the solution, but no no not this time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gonna give Mr.Gates credz for once, with WMplayer you just had to start the player and the server popped up on the PS3 in seconds! Easy and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete