Thursday, August 8, 2013

Installing Alternatives Configurator (galternatives) on Ubuntu

I have installed Alternatives Configurator(galternatives), a GUI front end for update-alternatives. And I used it to add Oracle JDK to Java alternatives and made it default Java because I installed JDK manually.

1. RESOURCES
Debian Admin: Galternatives – graphical setup tool for Alternatives Configuration in Ubuntu
Ask Ubuntu: How do I make java default to a manually installed JRE/JDK?

2. INSTALLATION
$ sudo apt-get install galternatives

3. LAUNCH TO ADD ORACLE JDK AND MAKE IT DEFAULT
$ gksu galternatives

4. CHECK JAVA VERSION
Before the Java default change using galternative, my Java version was OpenJDK 1.7.
$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_21"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
After the change, my Java version is now Oracle JDK SE 1.7.
$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

5. JAVA_HOME SETTING
Be sure to have JAVA_HOME set in .bashrc.
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java

1 comment:

  1. When I am doing step-3 I have changed the option from 'auto' to 'manual' , but the option is going back to 'auto' immediately

    ReplyDelete